Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Database Design Tool

I've been desiging a database.

From a previous job, I've seen a report that runs off the database management tool in SQL Server 2005 that prints out comments entered at the table and column level. I can't find that report on my current system.

I wondered if this is a feature of the tool when the tool is installed as a client rather than the tool locally on the server, as part of the server install.

Any help is appreciated.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Just a guess but maybe you are talking about extended properties?
From the context menu of a table or column you will find a "page" called Extended Properties for that table or column. Should work the same regardless of whether you are on a local SSMS or a remote SSMS. I believe you can also script only the extended properties of all or selected objects if that is interesting. Note that extended properties are optional and must be provided by developer. Otherwise they are blank.
Regards,
Bill
|||

I've found a comment property for both columns and tables. I don't recall going to an 'extended' property page. The comment property at the table level appears on the regular list of table properties at the right of the design tool. To put a comment on a column, I've used the column modify method. I right click on the column and pick 'modify'.

Is the script you refer to something I have to write, or is there an existing script in the tool.

I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I think the output from the report I saw was a Word Doc.

Andrew

|||

There is not anything built in that will generate a word doc but I am sure the community has one, try seaerching some of the following sites;

www.codeplex.com

www.sqlteam.com

www.sqlservercentral.com

www.codeproject.com

No comments:

Post a Comment