Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DataBase Development Server

Hi,
I am trying to create a development database server (make use of an old machine), with which to learn about sql 2005 and oracle etc. I'm using VS 2005 Beta 2 on my development/workstation machine.
My workstation and the prospective server are connected via a router and can 'see' each other.
I have installed win 2003 server on two seperate partitions (multiple boot) and installed sql server 2005 on one partition and will install oracle 10g on the other. (I understand these two databases can run on the same machine/OS, but I just wanted to keep things tidy and I won't be using them at the same time, so ...).
My question is how do I/should I configure win 2003 server / sql server 2005 on my server machine, in order to be able to connect from my workstation via vs 2005 beta 2 ?
Any suggestions or resources on configuration appreciated.

I have installed both but not in the same machine, in the same box I would use at least 1gig of ram. Oracle 10g will give you the most problems because Oracle installer is not very good. If you run into any problem with Oralce 10g try the link below for more info, it helped me better than Oracle site. SQL Server just remember to install the management tools also . Hope this helps.

http://www.rittman.net/

|||

Thanks for the reply. Since my original post, my sql server 2005 installation has stopped working, after a second installation. I had a dual boot set-up both running windows 2003 server. Perhaps this is too much for the machine.

I'll have to have a re-think.
Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment