Thursday, March 8, 2012

Database diagrams

I have just installed SQL server Express and am trying to create a database diagram. When I right click on database diagram, I just get the options to use help or to refresh. There is no option to create a new diagram,

Thanks,

Sarah

Express doesn't contain that option. You might try some of the freeware offerings to create database diagrams, or you can use Microsoft's Visio for Enterprise Architects.

Buck Woody

|||Can they not be created in the management studio?|||

Yes, but not against SQL Server Express.

Buck Woody

|||

I have now installed SQL server 2005 and need to be able to produce ERD's. Through the management studio, I do not ge the option to create new diagrams, I only get refresh or help. Should I be creating the some other way?

Thanks.

|||

No, you're in the right place. If you have installed a Standard Edition of SQL Server 2005 or higher, you will be able to create diagrams, but not against an Express database. Express databases don't have the ability to create the objects required for a database diagram. If you're using the 2005 tools to hit a 2000 database, you'll run into the same issue. You need to create 2000 diagrams in 2000.

|||i currently have the managemet studio express on my machine and there is support for creating database diagrams. if your are connecting to a remote server through the management studio it could be because of the security settings server side that will disallow the option. if you set up a local server it will give you the option

No comments:

Post a Comment