Monday, March 19, 2012

Database Engine Connection Error.

I got the sql2005 std edition at the msdn rollout, and the vs2005 studio. I uninstalled sql2000 and now, cannot connect to the database engine.

I get the following error message with a link to an page that offers no info. What's up and how can I get it to work? Please, help.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

Some questions which can help troubleshoot the real cause:

1) because uninstalalation of SQL2000, could you connect to SQL2005 STD?

2) Check the remote connection setting in SQL Server Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections, note you need to restart SQL after changing the remote connection settings there.

3) Do you installed as named instance, if you could you check if the sqlbrowser service is enabled and running?

|||

Hi hungfut

I am also getting the same error.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

When I try to connect to SQL Server Surface Area Configuration I am getting the following error.

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: index (System.Windows.Forms)

Because of this I could not verify the remote connection setting.

My named pipe instance are set to default (\\.\pipe\sql\query). Aslo IP1 & IP2 is enabled.

The SQL erver was running well. Until I installed the SP1. My SQl server is standard version. Please help me in this regard.

-Nitu

No comments:

Post a Comment