Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Database Explorer Advanced Connection Settings

In SQL Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, I was wondering if it is possible in the Add Connection dialog under Advanced settings to change the Data Source SQL server from the local .\sqlexpress to a network SQL Express server. It seems as though the option is locked. I am in a doman, and using Windows Authentication. I also have TCP/IP enabled on the SQL server, and no firewall restrictions for the SQL service. Also, my account permissions should also allow me to do this.

John55616

You'd be better off asking this question inthe VB Express forum since this is a VB dialog box. I believe that the VS Express products limit you to local only connections when working with the UI tools but I don't have a copy installed at this time to validate.

You can still access remote servers in code using a SqlConnection object and just specifying the connection string, but in terms of UI, VS Express is targeted at local data storage. This limitation does not exist for VS Standard and above.

Mike

|||

I think you're right about the local connections Mike. I am able to connect locally, which is perfect for testing.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment