Thursday, March 22, 2012

Database file... or on server

So with SQL server... I have have a file in my app_code or I can have the database directly on the server.

I don't really understand the difference or the benifits/disadvantages or each.

Could somebody quickly explain?

Dougal

There is supposedly an advantage in associating the database file with the project, whcih in some cases of shared hosting may be helpful.

For commercial applications, the database stays very much in the database server, only a script expert is saved into the program hierarchy.

|||

This is something about layering your application.

If your application is wide enough to cover many topics and is a candidate to progress in the future or may change modifications alot, like even a database change, etc. it better to keep your data layer seperate from business layer and also from presentation layer.

App_Code file is actually like data layer and business layer.

|||

>This is something about layering your application.

No - the location of the database is irrelevant to the layering methodology!

|||

Cool, thanks all.

I think i was just getting myself a bit confused and over thinking it. It's sometimes hard to know what method you should pck when presented with multiple options. I'm still learning the basics so I'm going to stick with a file in my App_Code folder for now.

When I move the website to a server, do I need to associate it with the file? or is it independent, similar in the way an access file is independent.

Dougal

No comments:

Post a Comment