Thursday, March 22, 2012

Database file size question please

Hi,

I have set the DB to auto grow by 30 %. As well I have set it to
unrestricted size... However , I see the available size continually being
reduced to now less then .54 MB... Why is there not enough available ?

Gtime_to_go (camper_66@.hotmail.com) writes:
> I have set the DB to auto grow by 30 %. As well I have set it to
> unrestricted size... However , I see the available size continually being
> reduced to now less then .54 MB... Why is there not enough available ?

Where do you see thie available size?

Auto-grow does not set in, until there are no free extents at all, and a
new extent is needed.

Note that if there is no free disk space for these 30%, auto-grow will
fail.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp|||Hi,

I see the available space in the general tab > space allocation. it shows
used as 35.5 MB and availble .53. I have checked disk space available and
it is sufficient.

r,
g
"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@.sommarskog.se> wrote in message
news:Xns96C0C9EE71401Yazorman@.127.0.0.1...
> time_to_go (camper_66@.hotmail.com) writes:
> > I have set the DB to auto grow by 30 %. As well I have set it to
> > unrestricted size... However , I see the available size continually
being
> > reduced to now less then .54 MB... Why is there not enough available
?
> Where do you see thie available size?
> Auto-grow does not set in, until there are no free extents at all, and a
> new extent is needed.
> Note that if there is no free disk space for these 30%, auto-grow will
> fail.
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
> Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp|||time_to_go (camper_66@.hotmail.com) writes:
> I see the available space in the general tab > space allocation. it shows
> used as 35.5 MB and availble .53. I have checked disk space available and
> it is sufficient.

Have you experienced any errors which claims that you are out of space?

Also, try running DBCC UPDATEUSAGE and then sp_spaceused in Query Analyzer.
Enterprise Manager is not always trustable for size information.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment