Thursday, March 22, 2012

Database File Size

I have a Database which when I Right Click and go to Properties size is 52 GB

But the Size of MDF + NDF Files is 25 + 7 = 32 GB. Log file Size is 20 GB. So I am thinking -- Properties Size of DB includes size of Log Files too -- is that correct?

But when I do a Full Backup the .bak File Size is 26 GB -- does the Full Backup Shrink a DB ?

I thot Full Backup only Shrink the Log Files and could not find anywhere in BOL where it says BACKUP shrinks the empty space in Database -- can somebody confirm this?

Hi JaguarRDA,

Its because backup is always lower than original size of database, because backup copy only used pages.

|||

Yeah -- also Backups dont touch the Log Files -- that was a wrong statement on my behalf that they shrunk the log files

|||

JaguarRDA283361 wrote:

Yeah -- also Backups dont touch the Log Files --

Depends on the type of "recovery model", see

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment