Thursday, March 22, 2012

Database File

Hello, I have a database with a very big datafile (6 gb), and I would Like to add more datafiles and why not 1 more db group... How do I distribute the data to the new datafiles ?

I'm doing this cause I'm having some serious performance problems...

Should I create those datafiles on separate disks or in the same one ?

Thank you so much for your help...

refer these

http://www.mssqlcity.com/FAQ/Devel/move_tables.htm

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1112

Madhu

|||

Hi Julian,

I am afraid, there is no simple answer to this question.

It all depends on how your storage is configured.

There is one important point, if you have two different datafiles sitting on two different logical drives at the windows level, SQL Server will use two threads to perform the IO. So you might see a bit of a performance benefit in that.

E.g. You have two drives E and F and your current file is on drive E. I would add another data file on the F Drive in the same filegroup.

regards

Jag

No comments:

Post a Comment