Thursday, March 22, 2012

Database filegroups

Hi,
I have a server with an external storage with 300GB. I
have 2 logical drives assign to the storage, one for logs
and other to the database files. My develop team says that
in a year the new database will grow to about 200GB. I'm
considering allocate one mdf file of 200GB, what should i
do? create a lot of filegroups and spread the database or
allocate one simple mdf file'
Thanks
PhilIt's really impossible to know without a lot more information.
In general... unless I have a strong reason to do other wise... I simply
have a single filegroup and put one file on each logical drive (especially
if the logical drive is seperate spindles..). An exception might be that I
might consider multiple files on the same drive if the logical drive is a
SAN or something with LOT's of IO capacity.
Unless I'm dealing with very large data sets I normally don't worry about
multiple file groups unless I'm doing it for management or recovery reasons.
Brian Moran
Principal Mentor
Solid Quality Learning
SQL Server MVP
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
"Phil" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:158cc01c41d83$bf076270$a001280a@.phx
.gbl...
> Hi,
> I have a server with an external storage with 300GB. I
> have 2 logical drives assign to the storage, one for logs
> and other to the database files. My develop team says that
> in a year the new database will grow to about 200GB. I'm
> considering allocate one mdf file of 200GB, what should i
> do? create a lot of filegroups and spread the database or
> allocate one simple mdf file'
> Thanks
> Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment