Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Database has invalid owner

I get this error when I try to view the database diagram. This is strange because it was about two weeks ago that I created and edited the database diagram. What is wrong with my login now as compared to when I did those edits?

The error suggests to use the ALTER AUTHORIZATION to change to a valid login. I am using windows authentication. If my login (the database ownere) is not the valid login then who is?

And what are the database diagram support objects that it suggests I install. I never heard of them, and where are they? Why didn't I need to install anything special when I worked on the diagrams two weeks ago?

Error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

Database diagram support objects cannot be installed because this database does not have a valid owner. To continue, first use the Files page of the Database Properties dialog box or the ALTER AUTHORIZATION statement to set the database owner to a valid login, then add the database diagram support objects.

BUTTONS:
OK

Does anyone have any suggestions?

dbuchanan

Right click the database in question and select "properties". Select the "Files" from 'Select a Page' on the left side.

On the right side browse or add the owner that you want.

If things dont work then try using the sa owner. I also faced the same problem but when I sed the sa login then it worked wonders.

Xavier

No comments:

Post a Comment