Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Database hung after failure of large update query

I tried to run a large update query last night that did not complete.
But now I cannot access that database. In fact, when I click on Databases
in Enterprise Manager, that hangs and shows an hourglass.
I suspect that it failed due to a disc space. When I look at the process
status, I see a SPID that has a wait type of PAGEIOLatch_EX that is 'working'
on that database.
I don't really need to complete the update (partial complete would be fine).
I just need to free up the database so I can work on the database.
Any thoughts?
- Jesse
Jesse A wrote:
> I tried to run a large update query last night that did not complete.
> But now I cannot access that database. In fact, when I click on
> Databases in Enterprise Manager, that hangs and shows an hourglass.
> I suspect that it failed due to a disc space. When I look at the
> process status, I see a SPID that has a wait type of PAGEIOLatch_EX
> that is 'working' on that database.
> I don't really need to complete the update (partial complete would be
> fine). I just need to free up the database so I can work on the
> database.
> Any thoughts?
There is no such thing as a partial update unless you were using batches
to perform the updates in the first place. What likely happened is that
you ran out of space and SQL Server may be in the process of rolling
back the transaction (which can take just as long as the original update
took).
David Gugick
Quest Software
www.imceda.com
www.quest.com
|||If u dont want any transaction for that particular SPID then u will kill the
particular process by KILL SPID
hope this will help
Herbert
"Jesse A" wrote:

> I tried to run a large update query last night that did not complete.
> But now I cannot access that database. In fact, when I click on Databases
> in Enterprise Manager, that hangs and shows an hourglass.
> I suspect that it failed due to a disc space. When I look at the process
> status, I see a SPID that has a wait type of PAGEIOLatch_EX that is 'working'
> on that database.
> I don't really need to complete the update (partial complete would be fine).
> I just need to free up the database so I can work on the database.
> Any thoughts?
> --
> - Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment