Thursday, March 29, 2012

Database In Recovery

What does it actually mean when the database is in recovery? My database has been in recovery overnight. What is normally going on in this situation. Should I wait or take more drastic action?

when your database is marked as recovering it is rolling forward all the committed transations and rolling back the uncommitted transactions......consider this scenario,when you do some bulk insert operations for many hrs and if you want to kill the process it will be roll backing state for hrs.....and if you abruptly restart the sql services it wud be in marked as recovering state and will come to normal if it fully recovers.....which is nothing but rolling forward and roll back operations

guys, pls correct me if am wrong !!!

|||

Is the state reported RESTORING or RECOVERING? They have different meanings and actions.

Thanks,

|||

Based on below I am saying Recovering.

|||

I'm guessing that you tried to paste a screenshot?

Can you tell me:

What version (and SP) of SQL you're running

Where you are looking to find the state

exactly what it says

What happened to the database leading up to this state (i.e. did the server crash and restart, did you restore the database? if so, what command did you use?

One common mistake is to use RESTORE WITH NORECOVERY on the last restore, which will leave the database in a RESTORING state until you run RESTORE WITH RECOVERY on it.

|||

In SQL Server Management Studio when I expand my databases folder it says (In Recovery) in parenthesis next to database name. This apparently was caused as a result of a server crash and restart due to device driver problem. I have tried to run RESTORE WITH RECOVERY, but that or anything else I try with the database tells me I can't do anything until recovery is complete.

|||

I left off version info from previous reply.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.1399.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.832
Operating System 5.1.2600|||I actually have three databases that have been (In Recovery). Two of the databases were my Report Services "ReportServer" and "ReportServerTempDB". My other database has finished, but I have not checked out yet. The "ReportServer" database now says (Suspect) and my "ReportServerTempDB" still says (In Recovery).|||

refer, http://deepakinsql.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-recover-from-suspect-database.html to bring the suspect database back to normalcy.......if the db is marked you cannot use the db.......check if there is sufficient disk space for the log file to grow and ensure that the data and log files are not accessed by any antivirus process etc.....those might be the reason for the db marked as suspect..........

|||

Actually, it sounds like your databases are recovering and coming online.

What we need to look at is why it is taking so long.

Are there hardware errors being reported which could be slowing things down?

Were there long-running transactions which would take a long time to roll back?

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment